Packing everything you own and living with boxes can be overwhelming. Here is a list of tasks to help make the process easier and manageable. Feel free to adjust the timelines according to how busy your life is. You may need to complete some of the tasks earlier.
If you need help finding a place to move to Craig Real Estate Realtors will be happy to help you!
8 to 10 Weeks before the Move:
- Make travel plans. If you’ll be flying to the new city, make airline reservations and reserve a rental car. If you’ll be driving, map out your route and make hotel reservations, if necessary.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antiques and other valuables that the movers will be taking to the new home.
- Begin the process of interviewing movers or reserve the truck if you’ll be doing it yourself. Choose a Moving Company that gives back to the community with Move For Hunger
- Decide to donate, sell and giveaway contents in each room.
- Deliver or schedule pick up of donated items to your favorite charity.
- Advertise the free items you leave curbside - suggest using the NextDoor app.
- Plan and hold a garage sale.
- Collect newspapers to use when packing.
- Send out invitations to your going-away party.
One Month before the Move:
- Gather boxes, tape and bubble wrap. **We can help you get boxes, contact one of our Realtors**
- Look into renting pads and dollies if moving yourself.
- Plan meals with the aim of using perishable food before you move.
- Non Perishable unopened food you do not want to move....choose a mover from www.moveforhunger.org and they will pack up your food and deliver to a local food pantry and then given to families in need.
- Pack seldom-used items and number each box, on all sides and on the top. On a piece of paper or a spreadsheet on your computer, keep track of each box’s contents. When you move into the new house you’ll know which boxes go in which room. Use this same procedure when you pack the rest of your belongings.
- Submit a change of address with United States Postal Office and change your voter registration information.
- Collect your records from your family doctor, dentist, vet, schools, and any other professional you will need to inform of your history. Ask for a referral to similar professional in your new town. Call the local utility companies, including your Internet service provider, to have service discontinued on your chosen date.
- Set cutoff date for monthly service people i.e. gardener, home security, pool maintenance and newspaper delivery Set start date at your new address with the companies in your new city. **Tip:Have everything turned on a day or two before your arrival to ensure you have power, heat and air conditioning when you move in.
Two to Three Weeks before the Move:
- Gather up tools you’ll need to disassemble beds and other furniture and place them somewhere they won’t accidentally be packed.
- Clean out and pack items in storage sheds and the garage.
- Take the car in for service. This is especially important if you’ll be driving it a long distance to get to the new home.
- Contract with a cleaning crew if you’ve decided to use one for either house or both.
- Confirm truck reservation details of pickup and delivery dates.
- Inform your Insurance Co. of the move and coverage moves to the address.
- Purchase a small safe or lockbox. Load it with important papers, jewelry, the contents of your bank safe deposit box, the mover’s contract and prescription medications. This box will be kept with you at all times during the move, so don’t let the movers take it with your other belongings.
- Collect your pet accessories and determine if you’ll need to purchase anything for the move. This includes a crate, leash, collar, and portable food and water containers.
- Begin packing boxes. Set aside one room, or designate another area of the home where you will place your “Do Not Pack” items. This area is for items that the movers aren’t taking with them.
One Week before the Move
- Confirm Cleaning Crew appointment.
- Drain the gas and oil from your gardening equipment and barbecue grill.
- Drain the waterbed and garden hoses.
- Finish packing boxes.
- Pack a box of blankets and pillows. Keep this box with you in case the movers don’t arrive at the new house as scheduled.
The Day before the Move
- Pack suitcases. Include enough clothing for at least the first three days at the new house.
- Pack the essentials box, mentioned above.
- Unplug electronics and tape the cords to each component.
- Disassemble furniture.
- Lock your valuables in the small safe or lockbox and place it in your carry-on bag if you’ll be flying or in the trunk of your car if you’re driving.
- Verify the details and exchange contact information with the driver.
- If you are driving, give a friend/family member a copy of your itinerary and agree that you’ll check in at pre-determined intervals.
- Arrive before the movers.
- Final walk thru. After everything is loaded onto the truck, tour the house one more time, looking for anything you may have missed. Is the house clean and free of trash? Check all closets, drawers and cupboards for any items you may have missed when you packed.